April 27, 2012

CAREER // A SAD DAY



Today, I get to check off a major item on my to-do list.  Today is my last day as an intern and I can say with full confidence that I have worked for a company that I truly believe in.  Holy moley.  These people are awesome, and this company knows how to use their awesomeness. 

The people here are what I call just. good. people.  They are the kind of people who smile on rainy days and create Friday office dance parties when things get snoozy.  They're the kind of people who ask how you're doing and expect an honest answer back.  I'm going to miss each and every one of them. 

I learned and grew as a future public relations professional, and I'm leaving this place loving this profession more than when I started.  The other day, my supervisor gave me a print out of all of the feedback she's received about me.  It almost made me cry, and I think I might frame it because I'm a sucker like that. 

Why am I leaving, you ask?  That's the vicous cycle of internships, I suppose.  I'm moving on to a great summer internship literally around the block.  It will expose me to a whole new realm of public relations (state tourism, what!) and it will definitely challenge me.  I will have more independance than ever before, and giant projects will be under my direction.  Exciting and scary and challenging and awesome. 

But before that new adventure, I have to tackle a week's worth of final papers, tests, presentations and portfolios.  I actually have a few little surpises ready for my blog next week (surprises is code for things I forgot to publish months ago).  After that, I'm heading home for two weeks to recharge, reorganize and probably recooperate from the craziness in store for me next week.  But I'm sure I'll tell you all about that soon!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new internship, that's so awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson, I came here from Press Play. I have enjoyed my stay and I like what you are doing by swapping ads. cool idea. I used to live in Indianapolis. The Fishers area really. Are you an Indianapolis Colts fan or a Bears fan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The ad swap was Melissa's idea, and I thought it was genius! For the record, I'm all for the Colts, but I grew up a Detroit Lions fan more than anything. We're a rare breed. I've never actually been out to fishers, am I missing anything exciting?! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I hope you find more fantastic people at your new internship. It's always hard to leave companies with great people, but I think you have some very exciting things on the horizon for you! I can't wait to hear what new stories unfold...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So neat! You're right; it's hard to leave a good internship. I'm going to feel the same way at summer's end. Your writing style reminds me of my own!

    ReplyDelete